Tuesday, September 26, 2017

DWP #14/SOL: VOICE {9.26.17}

"Hi, mama."

My daughter's voice came through the phone. It is 7:20 in the morning, the time she calls every day to say good morning.

Since leaving for college four weeks ago, she calls me at least twice a day, once to say good morning and the other time to tell me about her day and say goodnight. There's also the occasional call in the middle of the day as she waits for a bus or is walking to class. I probably talk to her more now than I did when she was living upstairs in her bedroom.

My son, on the other hand, calls about twice a week. During our calls, he fills me in on how classes are going, what tests he has coming up, how marching band is going, and how busy, busy, busy he is.

Either way, hearing their voices over the phone makes me miss them a little less.

This past weekend, we went to visit them at school. (They both attend the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.) As we were taking an off-campus excursion to the IKEA, I took a moment to practice the mindfulness I've been working so hard on lately and just listened, really listened, to their voices chatting away with each other in the back seat. I tried to memorize the sounds of their voices, locking their words into my mind and heart for the time when we are apart.


8 comments:

  1. "I tried to memorize the sounds of their voices, locking their words into my mind and heart for the time when we are apart."

    I loved that line! The difference between your son and daughter are so real to me. How sweet your girl is calling you. I love the dialogue in your piece. I felt like I could hear her voice. Band is so "busy, busy, busy", it is amazing anyone could keep up.

    This is my son's first year at college and the longest we have ever been away from each other. He facetimes me, that is his new thing, and my heart skips a beat when he calls. If I am teaching, I have to resist the urge to pick up anyway and most times I pick up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post makes me think of my children's voices. My youngest is 6 and still has that "little boy" voice. Thank you for the heart smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have changed with the phone calls, and you are lucky to talk so often. I'm glad you get to visit too, Jennifer. That is a special time when seeing your "kids" in their own new places. The sweetest post, today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's amazing how often you talk to your kids, especially your daughter! Most parents of college kids I know wait for a text or have had to join Snapchat to keep up with their kids while they're away at school. How lucky you are to have those calls!

    (For the record, I was a call home everyday kind of kid. I still talk to my parents at least once a day so it's nice to know this happens in other families too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so blessed to have children who call. My first called a lot when she left for school, but the others not so much. And now that they are married, well, they have someone else to lean on. It's not all bad, but I do miss the sound of their voices. I also loved the line about listening and memorizing their voices. These days the voices in my head are my students. They are taking up a lot of brain power this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you get to talk every day. That's wonderful! My 2 college-age girls live at home and attend locally. It will be weird when they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So exciting to get those calls (the daily and the twice weekly)! And I love your decision to listen, really listen to their voices chatting away in the back seat. I love listening from the back seat when I travel with my married children and realizing how happy they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this perspective on your phone calls. I makes me want to call my mom, but also makes me want to call those I love and just listen. Here them, and listen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!