Thursday, September 28, 2017

DWP #16: REMARKABLE {9.28.17}

This crazy cold-then-hot-then-cold weather has got the trees all confused.

So many of them went from holding tufts of green leaves to having no leaves at all over the course of just a few days. What is supposed to take weeks has gotten stuck on fast-forward. It seems like fall will be over before we know it.

One good thing about trees dropping their leaves is that you can get a peek at the places birds chose to hide their nests for the season. I am fascinated by bird nests. I think they are so cool -- how birds can salvage bits and pieces of this and that and shape them into the perfect family home. It's quite remarkable, really.

I have a small maple tree in my front yard that was one of the early ones to drop its leaves. As I walked past the tree to get my mail, I noticed a tiny nest in its branches.
I found this nest to be extra interesting. Woven in among the usual dried grasses were dog hair, yarn, and pillow stuffing. The dog hair I could explain -- I always give my Springer Spaniel a trim outside --  but the yarn and pillow stuffing baffle me. This must have been one clever and resourceful bird. 

1 comment:

  1. Bird's nests are fascinating. I've watched birds building a nest. Resourceful and energetic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!