Saturday, November 1, 2014

Best Aspects of Being a Teacher -- #ReflectiveTeacher Day 1

I’m participating in the November Blogging Challenge  -- Attitude of Gratitude -- at @TeachThoughtOnline
  


Today’s Topic:  What are the best aspects of being a teacher?

I remember growing up, I had two aunts who were teachers.  They would quickly tell me that the three best things about being a teacher were June, July, and August. 

As a child, I found this pretty funny. 

Now that I am a teacher, I am quick to admit that I do enjoy my summers.  

But here are some other things that I enjoy about teaching:
  • Seeing the "aha" moments in a student's eyes when they "get it".
  • Making a connection with a student who needs an adult to believe in them.
  • Learning and growing from the teachers around me.
  • Being a lifelong learner myself.
  • When a student accidentally calls me "mom".  Some teachers may get offended by this, but I take it as the highest compliment and a sign that I have made a connection with that child.
  • When a kindergartner passes me in the hallway and tells me they want me to be their 4th grade teacher.
  • When former students come back to say hello and share how awesome they are doing in middle and high school.
I could go on and on...

What are some things you enjoy about teaching?  Consider joining the November Attitude of Gratitude Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jennifer! I have had students tell me that I am their "mom at school," which I also consider to be a compliment and an honor. We have an amazing job, and even on the bad days, there is something to be thankful for. I'm looking forward to blogging with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great prompt because there are so many positive things about being a teacher. They usually all come to relationships between us and them. Best job in the world,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!