Monday, March 5, 2018

SOL #5 {3.05.18}: Get Ready for It

I am making a concerted effort to walk my dog, Rosie, as often as possible.

This wouldn't be a big deal except she doesn't like to walk. (Have you ever heard of such a thing?) She will literally pull back on the leash when we reach the end of the driveway, trying to slip her collar over her head so she can make a getaway back to the comfort of the sofa.

While on the walk, she pulls and barks anytime a car drives by. And don't get me started on how many plastic bags I need to bring along to clean up after her.

Walking her is a real pain. It would be much easier to go by myself.

Last week, I considered leaving her behind. Confirming thoughts swirled in my head:

      She slows me down.
           She's obnoxious when cars drive by.
                 What do the neighbors think of my badly-behaved dog?

I almost listened to those voices, but I didn't. I threw her sweater on her (it is March in Wisconsin, after all), laced up my shoes, popped my earbuds in, and out we went.

We had gotten up to the top of the hill before I even really noticed that she was actually behaving. A neighbor was out at the end of his driveway so we stopped to say hello. Rosie just stood there -- and waited! No barking. No pulling. No acting like a lunatic. 

We kept walking. A car drove by and I didn't have to use both hands to yank her back to the shoulder of the road.

It appears that maybe, just maybe, Rosie was beginning to learn how to go for a walk.

I'm glad I didn't give up on her.

This experience reminds me of writing and what all of us are going through right now with the challenge of writing every day.

For the first few days of March, the writing comes easy. We have energy and enthusiasm and there are lots of comments from friends to cheer us on.

But as the month moves on and your energy begins to wane, you may hear that voice. The one that tells you it's okay to not write today or that you should just quit. That one that whispers that you don't have time to write. The one that tries to tell you that no one will notice if you're gone.

       That voice is a liar.

I'm here to tell you to get ready for that voice. Most of us, experienced slicers or not, hear that voice at some time during the month of March. (Many of us hear it multiple times.)

When you hear it, it's time to keep your head down and barrel forward. Go to the page and show that voice who's boss. Prove it wrong.

You'll be glad you didn't give up on yourself.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the words I needed to hear. As a first time slicer I am excited about writing, but I am concerned about keeping up the pace, and keeping up the new ideas. As the month starts to come to an end I will remember (and return to) your encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Show that voice who's boss." Love it. Sage advice for slicing and other parts of life where the voice creeps in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we have all heard "that voice." That is also when we lean on our community, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This slice could have ended with Rosie learning to enjoy a walk in Wisconsin. However, the teacher writer/writer teacher that you are, you connected it beautifully to our current lives - living the challenge! Thanks to your connection, you have provided inspiration for all who read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I have a lot in common with Rosie. Just ask my running partner who has to keep me from trying to break free and get back to the couch. Thanks for the inspiration. This is my first year slicing, and after 4 excited days, I was so discouraged by "the voice" today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is spot-on. Reminds me of the Heath and Heath book that compares our lives to an elephant with a rider. The rider, the analytical thinking side of us, is the one guiding the elephant. But if that elephant wants to turn...what's the rider to do?! The Voice reminds of the elephant. But like you said, the Voice is a liar. And it's our commitment to writing that must win the day! Thanks for an inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for encouraging us to silence our inner critic who whispers those negative thoughts in our ears. My own has been working overtime to remind me that I'm no longer in the classroom, what was I thinking?, who will want to read what an "old retired" teacher has to say. I'm working hard to hush that voice, and you've helped!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good connection. You are right that no matter how experienced, the voice will sometimes visit. It takes time to learn to live with it without listening so we can continue writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!