Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Signs of Fall {SOL 8-26-14}

Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for helping us all share a Slice of Life.
Today is my first official day back to work.  Like many of you, I have spent several hours getting ready for today, but today is the day when it all becomes official.

Back in June, this day seemed so far away.....

Sigh.

To help ease back into a new year, I have been trying to convince myself that summer is over.  You see, it is much easier to get back into the mood of school if I'm not still thinking about swimming pools, afternoons on the patio, and wearing shorts.

Here are the ways that I've noticed that summer is coming to an end and fall is here:

* My purple cone flowers have faded to a dull pink.  Their prickly, seedy centers are being visited by the gold finches who flit from flower to flower gathering seed.  (I love to watch the gold finches!)

* The feathers of the Sandhill Cranes that I pass in fields are also fading from a rich brown to a dull grey.  Soon they will take flight for Mexico.

* The tomatoes are ready!  Every visit to the garden yields armfuls of fresh produce that I have been waiting all summer to enjoy.

* The sun is sleeping in.  She doesn't rise until after 6:00 am now.  She worked hard during the summer and is taking a well deserved rest.

* I am craving pumpkin, apples, and cinnamon.  This weekend, I will take the short ride to the local apple orchard for some of the early season offerings.

* Football!  I'm ready to spend Sunday afternoons watching my beloved Packers.

* The bunches of grasses that I have planted around my patio have sent up the most beautiful wispy seed stalks.  I love to watch them dance in the wind.

Like every season, fall offers so many delights to be enjoyed.  It is a time to come back into yourself, to nurture your body, mind, and soul with all of the comforts that have been absent for the past several months.

I am ready.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the parts you shared, and it's so right, at least in Colorado, too. It's cooler & actually rainy sometimes recently. I am wearing shoes & socks, and of course, school is starting! Hope your week is good, Jennifer. Our students come tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!