Tuesday, January 5, 2016

OLW 2016: Choose {SOL 1-5-16}

Here we are in a new year which means it's time to pick a new One Little Word (OLW).  I really liked my OLW from 2015 -- FLY.  It suited me well and had a huge impact on my year.

So I waited for my OLW to find me for 2016.

This past fall, Ruth Ayres wrote a post in her weekly Celebrate This Week link up about banishing the word 'should' from our lives.  That got me thinking about all the times I use the word 'should' in my internal dialogue.

I should drink more water.  I should exercise more.  I should do something other than just sit here and read.

Or the variation of should -- "shouldn't."

I shouldn't sit and read -- I have work to do.  I shouldn't spend time writing -- I have work to do.  I shouldn't buy another journal (even though I love it) -- I have journals at home I haven't used yet.

Once I made myself aware of how much I use these two words, I made a conscious effort to stop.

And that's when my OLW for 2016 found me.

CHOOSE.

This year, I will choose more.

I will choose to read.  I will choose to write.  I will choose to buy another journal.  I will choose to spend an hour napping on the patio.  I will choose to read along with my students.  I will choose which projects I take on.  I will choose to make a delicious dessert.

I will choose.

16 comments:

  1. Choosing has such a nice ring to it, Jennifer, especially when you pair it with things you like to do. Funny you mention about the journal. I saw one I just loved last week and then thought I have others unopened at home to use. Happy 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the path from shoulds to choose. I agree that we make choices everyday. We need to empower ourselves to make this choices without a sense of guilt. Great word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the path from shoulds to choose. I agree that we make choices everyday. We need to empower ourselves to make this choices without a sense of guilt. Great word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great, active word! Enjoy choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great, active word! Enjoy choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great word and a wonderful list of what you choose to do. I love the idea of napping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making conscious choices rather than filling those choices with guilt is such a positive way to go, Jennifer. We often said in our home, no "shoulda, woulda, couldas". It is a negative way to think. Glad you're "choosing" to do it differently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To CHOOSE your own path and passions is such a joy. May your 2016 be full of great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great word. I think I may consider it for next year! I hope it serves you well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The power of choice is really important -- I love the idea of choose. We all have the power to choose how we will respond, act and move forward. Enjoy!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the choice of CHOOSE!!!! You continue to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great OLW - it has the ring of empowerment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great OLW - it has the ring of empowerment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Choose is a great word and we are on similar paths. I even mention how I chose who or what I want to be. It is fun reading everyone's story and paths taken to find those OLW's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful word. And I love your story of the path that led you to your word. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your word! I've been struggling to choose my word. Hopefully, I'll have it picked by next week. I loved hearing about your journey to your word, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!