Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Time for Tough Love {SOL 9.20.16}

Why do we feel the need to hold onto things that we don't use anymore?

I am guilty of this.  Really guilty.

This past Saturday, I decided to do something about it and made some tough love decision about the items in my closet.

If I hadn't worn it in the past year and I didn't feel any kind of connection with it, it went in the giveaway pile.

Shoes that hurt my feet were a no-brainer.  Into the give away pile they went.

Cute tights that were stretched out? Thrown away.

How many white tank tops does one person need??

How about pajamas? Are five pair too many?  (YES!)

Do I really need four pair of black flats? Probably not.

And on and on it went....

When I was done, I had two garbage bags full of shoes and two more full of clothes to take to my local Goodwill center.

My closet is now neat and trim and I can actually see what I own.  What I wasn't expecting was the calm feeling I now experience when I walk into my closet. I think all that "stuff" was causing me some anxiety I wasn't aware of.

Now, the trick will be to NOT fill it up again with more stuff.







8 comments:

  1. Oh how I need to do this! I feel the calm in your words. What a productive weekend! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this, too. I did it with my sons' closets over the summer. For some reason, I always do my stuff last and my closet needs the most attention! :) Kudos to you for getting yours done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this with every closet in my house this summer. It was hard to get started, but once I was on a roll, I couldn't be stopped! :) Good luck keeping it tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do this, too. I did it with my sons' closets over the summer. For some reason, I always do my stuff last and my closet needs the most attention! :) Kudos to you for getting yours done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah for you, Jennifer. It's a good time during this change of seasons to clean out, and then celebrate, which you just did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did this at the end of last school year - what a great feeling, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this at the end of last school year - what a great feeling, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something that I so need to do! I keep hoping that I will get back into my "skinny clothes." Probably NOT!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!