Saturday, February 18, 2017

Celebrating Habits

The thing about habits, whether they are good or bad, is they set a precedent for behavior. Our bodies and minds get into a routine and those routines happen automatically.

I've been thinking a lot about my habits lately and the routines they've started.

This week, I celebrate a few good ones:

* I get up early -- 4:30 am -- every day, even weekends. If you haven't heard about how the early morning is prime time for creativity and productivity, you should listen to the Jeff Goins' podcast with Miracle Morning author Hal Elrod.  This early morning time is "me time;" I read, I write, I workout. I do whatever I want and I love it.
*I put my workout clothes on first thing in the morning. This habit makes it a no brainer that I will head down to the elliptical after a cup of coffee.

* I avoid sugar and carbs and strive for lots of veggies and water in my diet. I started this habit back in September and I've lost 30 pounds.

* I read positive quotes every day. I think this habit has literally rewired my brain to be a happier and more positive person.

Because habits establish a routine that spans time, I've noticed that they've also helped me keep these good habits going on those days when I think about giving up. When I'm too tired to make a healthy meal or I don't want to exercise, all I have to do is think about how far I've come. The guilt of quitting pretty much keeps me on track every time. :)

Surely, there are a few not-so-good habits that make a presence in my life, but we won't talk about those this week, right?

Wishing you a weekend full of positive habits!


13 comments:

  1. I am a morning person not 4:30 am, but I have always loved my early mornings when the house was quiet. I appreciate establishing new routines which is where we are as empty nesters. Thanks for celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you value your habits and how thoughtful and reflective you are about creating them. I, too, treasure my early morning time. To me, it's the best part of the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious of your habits...especially that sugar and carb one! Congrats on the weight loss. Can you send some of that motivation south?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your habits have made such a difference! Congrats on keeping them going. (And we agree not to even think of any bad ones.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a celebration of terrific habits! I'm with you on 4:30 AM! Congratulations on your -30 since Sept! Funny that I celebrated "a habit" change (not near as important as yours) this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the early morning routine. I have been lazy about it lately and need to get back to it. I notice feeling more stressed out if I don't get my quiet me time in the morning. I love the idea of reading positive quotes every day. I will have to add that one to my routine. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an early morning person too! I do like time with my coffee though. Adding more veggies is a must. Thanks for sharing how it helped you, a motivator for me as I started two days this week with adding extra to my lunch bag for snacking. I'll check the podcast for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! If proximity wasn't an issue I'm sure we'd be BFFs. Sounds silly, I know! Keep up those habits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm absolutely a morning person, too! Though....not quite that early. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your days sound very good, Jennifer, and the fact that you are continuing the habits adds to the feelings of success. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a morning person too! Congratulations on the thirty pounds! That's no small accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, the smell of possibility is such an awakening but I must admit that 4:30 am is a bit early for me to join you. I am impressed with your routine and how it has positively impacted your life. Keep up the great work and continue to cheer us on with loads of positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, am envious of your habits...what an inspiration you are!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!