Tuesday, November 4, 2014

For Me? -- #Reflective Teacher Challenge Day 4

Today's Topic:  What was the nicest gift you have received from a student/parent/colleague?

A few years ago, one of my students came up to me on a Monday morning and handed me a paper plate covered in foil.

"We made these yesterday.  My mom wanted you to have these," he said through broken English.

Peeling back the foil, I saw six corn husk rolls lined up on the plate.

""They are tamales," he added.

I smiled and told my student how much I love tamales, but had never had homemade ones.

"My aunt comes every Sunday to make them with my mom."

As someone who loves to bake, I will often share my goodies with others as a way of saying thank you or to let them know how much I appreciate them.

Looking down, I realized that I was not just holding a plate of tamales.  I was holding a tremendous gift.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer! It's fantastic to have you participating in the blogging challenge. Your post really shows that it's the little things that are often full of meaning and are very special to us. Thank you for sharing this. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    Justine :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!