Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Rollercoasters {SOL 5.10.16}

I'm a total baby when it comes to rollercoasters.

They've always terrified me.

When I was younger and would go to Six Flags Great America with my family, I remember waiting in line with my mom, dad, and sister, watching the people exit the line after riding. I would justify to myself that they survived the ride and nothing happened to them, so I would be fine.

Talk about a stretch.

Not riding was not a choice my mother offered to me. There would be no waiting at the exit gate as the rest of my family rode. I had to ride.

Now that I'm an adult, I don't have to ride any more. No one can make me.  If my family wants to ride, I will walk through the line with them and wait at the exit.
See that empty seat next to my husband? 
I'm not sure what it is about rollercoasters that scares me so much.

A few times, I have faced my fear and given rollercoasters another try. The result was always the same. I literally wedged myself into my seat as much as I could so I wouldn't move. I checked the lap bar a hundred times.  On the way up the lift, I kept my eyes closed tight so I couldn't see the ground becoming smaller as I moved higher. I screamed my head off as we drop, drop, dropped down the hill for fear that I would fly out of my seat.

It was not fun.

Yet I put a smile on as I walked down the exit line, just in case there was a little kid anxiously watching me, trying to work up the nerve to ride themselves.



7 comments:

  1. Roller coasters are not my favorite thing either. UGH! (Yet another thing we have in common!) I'll hang out with you while others enjoy the ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I have never liked upside down (not even for somersaults). The last time I rode a rollercoaster was about 20 years ago when I was chaperoning a youth group trip. I got off a not very scary ride and knew I was done forever. It felt as if my whole body had been rattled and I knew I would never go on another ride. Now, I just watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you can now say "no", Jennifer. I loved all the rides, upside down, etc., but not roller coasters, either. I think it's the "leaning" that gets to me, feeling as if we're going to fall over. How nice of you to NOT make a face so that the younger ones can give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said "no" from the very beginning,rollercoasters truly terrify me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said "no" from the very beginning,rollercoasters truly terrify me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've ridden my last roller coaster. My body can't take the jarring twists and turns anymore. So I'll sit on the bench with you and watch the others have their fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use to be able to tolerate them, but not so much anymore. I like the way you put on a smile when you got off the ride! So sweet! I'm okay to stand at the exit gate too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!