Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What's In Between {SOL 5-24-16}

I love it when an idea pops into my mind at the perfect time, completely unsought, but needed nonetheless.

Yesterday, I decided to spend our read aloud time reading some of the picture books I haven't gotten to yet this year.  I pulled out one my son gave me for Christmas, One Day, The End by Rebecca Kai Dotlich.
I loved the very first page:

When I finished reading, I turned back to this first page and we talked about how it's what is in between the beginning and the ending that matters.

Then the idea hit me....

Being as this is the end of the school year, I thought we would all write our own "One day I started 4th grade/Then it ended. The End" stories. We would fill our in betweens with our favorite memories of our year.

I had not planned on this writing activity, but it sure was a good one.

Today, we are  going to share our stories in circle time and relive some of our favorite memories from the past nine months.

As this year draws to a close, I want my students to remember not just the beginning and the ending, but the good stuff in between that matters most.

14 comments:

  1. I love it when great teaching moments fall into our laps like this! And now I need this book for our school library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the book you read and the activity. It's fun to reflect on memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the book you read and the activity. It's fun to reflect on memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea! I've been reflecting on the year with my kids as well and finding that the middle really is so different for everyone! I've been missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful idea for them to think about message and author's purpose in that idea. It really is talkworthy - why do the beginning and endings get more notice? why does this author think the middle is important? What message can they take away and think about in all aspects in life? Big ideas and endless possibilities Adding that book to our cart!! Thanks
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for end of year reflection. I wish I had the book (but I juts now ordered it, so I will soon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for end of year reflection. I wish I had the book (but I juts now ordered it, so I will soon).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect, Jennifer. I do love that book that will offer so many ideas for writing, and ending the year with memories to take along is wonderful. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This page from the read aloud was a great platform for your post, Jennifer. You gave me a great idea for my workshop next week with the teachers I have not seen since last June. I asked them to write me a quick reflection on what transpired since I last saw them. It is indeed the stuff in between that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this moment of teacher inspiration, Jennifer - and I hope you'll share some of your students' writing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun to use the framework of this book to reflect back in writing about the school year. Would love to see what your writers came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how fun to use the framework of this book to reflect back in writing about the school year. Would love to see what your writers came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want this book. I LOVE this idea!!! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome book and I just love when a lesson falls into place so easily. I'm sure your students enjoyed looking in-between. A perfect end of the year activity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!