Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Weeding the Garden {SOL 5-31-16}

In the area between my garage and patio, I have a perennial garden. For the past 13 years, I have enjoyed the purple coneflowers, daisies, Russian sage and black eyed susans that have grown there. Butterflies, goldfinches, and hummingbirds are regular summer visitors.
I began that garden with maybe two or three plants of each variety. Over the years, they would put out off shoots or reseed themselves until you couldn't see any of the ground below them.  It was beautiful, but was getting to be a bit crazy.

This past weekend, I decided that it was time to do something about the craziness.  With the help of my husband, we dug up the garden, taking out every single plant. It was quite the job. Then, we replanted the garden in some semblance of order, using maybe 1/10 of the plants that we had dug up.

Some of  extras were replanted in other parts of our yard (we have almost six acres), but most of them were given away. I have a few friends who just bought new houses who were happy to take some. Another friend said he'd be happy to take a few to plant at his house. One of my husband's co-workers brought her truck over and loaded up about 20 plants to take to her place.

It makes me feel good to know that someone else will get enjoyment out of something that has added so much beauty to my life.

It also made me feel good that I could now see each and every plant in the garden.

Working on weeding out my garden got me thinking about how much it paralleled my life. Sometimes I take on too much, either because I like it, I think I need it, or I simply avoid letting go of it. Overloading on too much of a good thing (like my garden was overloaded with flowers) creates craziness.

Every now and then, I need to stop and weed things out. The craziness will be less and the things that I have left will have room to thrive.

11 comments:

  1. I love gardening, Jennifer. When I started a perennial garden one of my friends gave me some of hers, just like you did. I loved sharing memories with her and now that she has moved, I still have a piece of her garden. Your gesture of sharing must have made so many people happy as your reorganized your garden. I enjoyed hearing about your comparison of decluttering your garden with your life. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perennials that come back every year! What a gorgeous bit of color to have in your yard. I'm sure the people who got your extras were truly appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the garden - I also moved and changed out the purple coneflowers this year. The tall established plants when to the back garden and new orange colored were placed in the front. Always feels good to make space for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your perennial garden has some of my favorites! I live that you shared your treasures with your friends, especially those with a new home. And yes, it is good to weed the craziness out of your own life and start fresh. Enjoy your new, fresh garden! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the connection made, Jennifer. Even in retirement, I find I need to sit quietly to choose exactly what I'd like to do rather than say 'yes' to everything. I imagine your garden will be beautiful again, and not so crazy, life, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to do this at my house as well. Our perennials are getting out of control.

    Love the analogy, too - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You want to talk out of control? Try planting mint. I did that two (or three) years ago and it's like a massive weed-bush now. Completely out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't love to garden, but I do have a beautiful one. I feel like plants are kind of miraculous. First there's nothing and then boom a beautiful flower. Crazy. I love that you spread your abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how a little part of your garden is now in the yards of all your friends. What a great way to spread the friendship seed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how a little part of your garden is now in the yards of all your friends. What a great way to spread the friendship seed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your perennial garden looks amazing. My husband and I have our very own garden and it is always such a pleasure to do some gardening when life gets too hectic and you need a breather. Keep sharing the beautiful pictures. We really appreciate the color and the many different flowers you have. Life is beautiful and this is the proof.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!