Wednesday, October 4, 2017

DWP #22: BERRY {10.4.17}

Is home-canning a generational thing?

My mother didn't can too much, but I remember basement shelves full of home-canned applesauce and plums. My mother-in-law still cans the bounty of her garden every summer: dilly beans, tomato puree, and beets make their appearance at the dinner table and family gatherings throughout the year, bringing a bite of summer back to the table no matter what date it is.

I don't know of too many people of my generation who still can and preserve food.

I'm in the minority, I suppose.

I don't do a lot; just a few things. I like to make homemade pepper jelly to have around for gifts and appetizers. This year, I threw some blackberries from the garden into the jelly and it was amazing!  My son and I also made some mixed berry jelly. We took raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and more blackberries from the garden and created another breakfast treat. He liked it so much that he took a few jars away to college with him, hiding them in the back of the kitchen shelf so his roommates couldn't find it.

My garden is still producing blackberries. As I pick them, I'm throwing them into the freezer. I think when the holidays roll around, I will make another batch of blackberry jam to give as gifts. (That's only as long as my kids don't eat it all first.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!