Tuesday, October 10, 2017

DWP #28/SOL: DOOR {10.10.17}

While visiting Papa Ed this morning, we came across the game show, "The Price is Right," on TV.

I haven't seen this show for at least 25 years, but it used to be one of my favorites to watch growing up. The host has changed, Bob Barker handing over his stick-skinny microphone to Drew Carey, but the games are the same and it still amazes me how the show can just hand out free cars, bedroom makeovers and cold-hard cash with such reckless abandon to contestants who simply spin a wheel.

If life was only that easy....

One of the games we saw involved the contestant getting to choose from one of three doors. Two of the doors held fabulous prizes -- a whole-house vacuum system and a trip to Colorado -- but the other door was a bust -- no prize.

The contestant carefully weighed her choices. She looked to the audience to see which door she should pick. (Like they could really help her...) She picked Door #2 and is now packing her bags for a trip to Colorado.

Lucky her!

If you have been following my #DWHabit (Daily Writing Habit) journey, you may know that this past week, we made the very difficult decision to put my stepdad, Papa Ed, into a nursing home because of his Alzheimer's. Seeing The Price is Right this morning reminded me of what we've been through this past week.

Before us stood several doors of options for him:

Door #1 was that we do nothing and continue to care for him at home.
Door #2 was to find a care facility that offered respite daycare services.
Door #3 was to find residential care for him.

Which door should we choose? Which one was the best for not only him, but my mom? We consulted our family and medical professionals as we weighed our choices.

We picked Door #3 and I really do feel that we won the big prize. After this period of adjustment that we are going through, we will know that we did.



8 comments:

  1. This was a powerful piece for me as a reader, Jennifer. My family has been going through a similr situation and it can be heart wrenching to choose a door. Your post reminded me that every door opens somewhere, as long as we open it, and a family can work through it together. Thanks for such a personal post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you good feelings about this "door" you chose, Jennifer. You know I went through this with my husband, first choosing a day facility while I worked. When that choice no longer was safe, he did enter a memory-care facility. I know that everyone is different, but wish your family and your mother my best wishes for finding a good rhythm in this new life change. It was hard, but knowing that my husband was getting good, safe care helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who went through this with my aunt I understand the weighing of decisions. We chose the same door and had no regrets knowing she was getting the best care possible. You made the right decision. Thoughts are with you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difficult decision to make. I'm so glad that you are feeling positive about the choice you made. Thinking of you and your family and wishing you all a smooth transition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple, powerful slice with a game show twist. Brilliant connection that maybe helped you make sense of your difficult decision. All the best to you, Jennifer, Papa Ed, and your whole family! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a journey... you will have good days and bad days. Remember to remember, remember to laugh, remember to cry and remember to savor every moment together. It is difficult, but I have found if you embrace it fully you learn lessons you can never imagine. One day at a time...
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed how your word of the day fits in so well with what you need to write about. But not only that, the word leads you to creativity in your writing as well. I'm so glad you are feeling good about your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tough decision, Jennifer, but one you know is the right choice deep in your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!