Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A Message From Beyond {SOL 10.31.17}

The doorbell rang a little after 3:00 pm and I shuffled my way toward the front door.

Peeking through the side lights, I saw four ladies standing on my front porch, holding Bibles. The bright daylight behind them hurt my already sore eyes.

Ugh, Jehovahs' Witnesses, I thought to myself.

It's not that I mean any disrespect to anyone's religion, but these ladies had terrible timing in more ways than one. They had just woken me from a much-needed nap that I had been fighting all afternoon to fall into. I was hoping sleep would help me forget about my morning, but that just wasn't in the cards for me.

I opened the front door and greeted them. One of them introduced herself and handed me a brochure.

On the cover of the brochure was a picture of some people standing in a misty-cloudy sort of setting, staring lovingly at each other. The words "You Will See Your Loved Ones Again" graced the top of the brochure.

I stared at the brochure for a moment while the lady began her pitch. She didn't get to talk long before I burst into tears. Right there, standing in my front doorway.

You see, earlier that day, we had to put our beloved 14-year-old Springer Spaniel, Toby, to sleep. It was a gut-wrenching decision, but one that had to be made out of necessity because of his failing health. Being the only one home, I had to take him to the vet myself. I stayed with him the entire time. It was very peaceful, but the only comfort I could find was knowing he was no longer in pain. I missed him already.

The ladies my front porch stared at me and the tears streaming down my face, offered some words of comfort after I explained what happened, then told me they'd come back another day.

That brochure though...

It could have been seen as a strange coincidence, but I took it as a message from my Toby. He wanted me to know that he was in a good place and that he was okay.

And although they woke me from my nap, I gave thanks for those ladies for delivering that message that I so desperately needed.





3 comments:

  1. That moment so needed, a special thing for you, Jennifer. I'm sorry for you losing sweet Toby. It is never the right time, and yes, it is peaceful, but so hard. Hugs to you for great memories. I can still feel the way all of my pets felt when I petted them. They truly do hold big places in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, hugs to you and your family. This is a beautiful, optimistic slice. It actually makes my heart melt for so many reasons - the love you have for Toby, the joy you found in the interruption of your nap, the sweet message you took from the doorbell ringing. Thanks for writing and sharing! Here's to Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets become so much a part of our lives that they are greatly missed. Your Toby looks like a precious dog. You needed to cry. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!