Sunday, September 24, 2017

DWP #12: SHARE {9.24.17}

The mother’s patience was getting short.

Her two teenagers were fighting like young puppies. One would take a nip at the other with some snide comment then that one would respond with a paw to the side of the head with a biting response. This went on an on throughout dinner.

She could hardly take it anymore. 

“That’s enough you two,” the mother snapped at her kids. “I’ve had it with all this hate talk between the both of you.”

The kids, who had become oblivious to their mother even being in the room, paused and turned to look at her.

“I've had it. You are brother and sister. You are supposed to LOVE each other. All of this name calling is driving me crazy. I want to hear some sweetness for once." The mother paused to think before continuing,  "I want you to each share something you like about each other,” the mother ordered. 

Both of the kids' faces went blank.

“You want us to do what?” the daughter asked.

“I want you to say something nice to each other for a change. A compliment.”  A long pause.  “Now!”

Both kids just stared back at their mother.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll go first,” said the mom. “T, I think you take really good care of your friends. They know they can count on you.” The daughter smiled back at her mother.  "J, I think you have an amazing work ethic. You are not afraid of hard work and you’ve set high goals for yourself.” The son smiled, but looked down. “Now it’s your turn to share.”

Silence again.

Then the daughter, who enjoyed trying to one-up her brother, went first.

“Okaaaayyyy….I like it when you help me with physics. You know that it’s hard for me and you explain it in a way that makes sense. I appreciate that.” The daughter smiled at her brother for the first time all day. Her brother rolled his eyes.

“Okay, J, your turn,” the mother nudged the son to return a compliment.

The son sat in his chair, purposefully examining the tabletop when a sly smile came across his face.

“I’ve got one you're gonna like:  You don’t smell,” he blurted out at his sister, smiling widely at her.

“Mom! That’s not a compliment! He didn’t share something nice,” the daughter shrieked at her mom.

Now it was mom's turn to roll her eyes.

“J….let’s go. Give your sister a compliment.”

More silence and more examining the tabletop.

“You are really patient with me when I’m such a bonehead,” the son shared with his sister.

The sister smiled at her brother, amazed that he could actually come up with a compliment. 

“Well, I’ve had lots of practice,” she returned quickly, sparking the next round of arguing.

The mother then shared with them that they were now invited to spend the rest of their afternoon in their bedrooms. She would have peace at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!