Thursday, September 21, 2017

DWP #9: CAREFUL {9.21.17}

Mistakes are how we learn.

Thanks to the growth mindset framework of recent years, we are learning to embrace the messiness of learning in favor of stretching and trying new things then reflecting on the outcomes.

But how do you help a student who is too careful and will do anything in her power to avoid making a mistake?

The one who works so painstakingly slow that she has homework every night because she didn't finish in class?

The one who doesn't want to try new things?

I've had a few students like this in some of my classes of years past.

Heck, I was this student when I was younger.

(Oh, how I wish growth mindset existed when I was a student.)

Sure, doing careful work is important. But so is putting yourself out there and trying new things.

As I grow older, I am learning to embrace this and to teach my own children the value of reflection in their learning, whether these be classroom lessons or life lessons.

It is a work in progress.

2 comments:

  1. I am working with a student who has severe anxiety about trying something new. It's so hard to push her because of this. Perfectionism can be debilitating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!