Wednesday, September 13, 2017

DWP: Garter {9.13.17}

Garter

I wasn't expecting to see it there.

I stood at the edge of my flower garden, the same garden I am in (sometimes barefoot) almost every day, and saw something wiggling in the grass out of the corner of my eye.

A thin, brown garter snake wove its way through the blades, trying to get away from me as quickly as possible. (I'm sure he wasn't expecting to see me there either!)

I let out a very loud yelp and jumped back.

The snake made a turn and slithered toward the garden.

Oh no, you don't! There was NO way I was going to let that snake get into my garden. I ran to get a shovel from the garage, but by the time I got back, the snake was gone.

I grabbed the hose and shot cold water into the tall flowers and plants, hoping to freeze the little guy out of there. 

I told myself it worked.

Two days later, I was walking back from our vegetable garden, arms full of tomatoes and cucumbers,  and there was another garter snake weaving through the grass -- much smaller than the first one.

Being someone who is petrified of snakes, I considered pelting it with tomatoes but quickly thought better of that idea.

I got a grip, reminded myself that I am a grown woman, took a deep breath, and followed the little guy for a bit (from a safe distance, of course). 

He was quite tiny, probably no wider than a pencil. If he stretched out, he was maybe 12" long. No big deal, I told myself, right before he disappeared down a hole in a grassy ravine.

We have lived in this house for 15 years and it's probably been five years since I've seen a snake. Now...I see two in the same week. Weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!