Tuesday, September 19, 2017

DWP #7: BUBBLE {9.19.17}

I am new to meditation, but it is something I'm trying very hard to include in my day.

I've heard a lot about the benefits of meditation: improved focus and creativity, lower blood pressure, increased sense of well-being, stronger immunity.....I could go on and on.

Some days of my meditation practice are easier than others. Other days, I can't keep my mind from going on a scavenger hunt. Instead of focusing on the breath, I find myself thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner, what someone said to me yesterday, when the last time was that I checked social media, and a million other things all at once.

This was definitely NOT meditating.

But the longer I practice, the more I learn that this "monkey mind" behavior is normal. The important part of meditation is being able to notice that your mind has wandered and bring it back to focusing on the breath.

At first, I struggled with this. Then I learned to think of each thought as a bubble and to visualize that thought bubble floating away, out of my reach.

And it worked!

So now when I meditate and notice my mind has wandered, I place that thought into a shiny bubble and watch it float away.




6 comments:

  1. I made a commitment beginning July 31 to practice meditation/mindfulness every morning and thanks to the Headspace and Calm apps I have kept at it. It is fun to see that others are trying it too and I definitely share your struggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good intentions, like writing more often, and meditating daily. (sleep enough, eat healthfully, call your mom, vacuum, exercise, etc.) I really appreciate your reminders about making time for what's really important. What you do every day is more important than what you do once in a while. Best wishes on your meditation journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building a habit is always challenging. So many distractions. I think that sometimes the most important element is finding the right time for daily practice. Later with more skills one can use meditation practice anywhere any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that yoga is a good way to let those running thoughts go and focus on breathing and your movement. I feel it works well if you have lots of wandering thoughts and you want a mental break as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way meditation makes me feel. I thought I would bring it into my classroom practice but I haven't. I may try it soon. Thanks for the tip about the bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been considering adding meditation into my life for some time now. I have so many tell me the amazing impact it can have on your life and I am excited to try it with your bubble tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!