With both kids away, we are truly empty-nesters. The house has been very quiet. That's really hard to get used to. I think I've talked to the dog more this past week than anyone else. Luckily, the dog seems to get it and lets me babble away.
These past few months have seen many endings and new beginnings for me. Times of great change. Thinking of it all as a collective whole can be overwhelming, so I'll just take them one by one:
* In June, I left the classroom to begin my educational consulting business, Teach Write. Ending ten years in the classroom was very sad, but I'm looking forward to beginning this new adventure. Today would have been our first day of school. It's a strange feeling not to be there, but I know good things are ahead too.
* A new business means working from home -- alone -- all day long. Luckily, I'm someone who doesn't mind quiet and solitude, but it will take a little getting used to.
* Two kids away at college with huge beginnings ahead of them, but for me as well as I adjust to life in my empty nest.
* I'm looking for some new social groups to join to get me out of the house and to connect with others. (The dog will appreciate this.) Tonight, I'm going to a writing meeting at the library. I've been to meetings like this before and they did NOT work out for me, but I'm going to give it another try. You never know...
* I am helping my parents move into a new home, just little farther away from me. I know this is a good move for them, but I will miss the luxury of knowing my mom is just 10 minutes away.
* I am working on beginning new writing habits. I need to set the wheels in motion and get going. Those books aren't going to write themselves.
Today is the day I mark as the first day of my new beginnings. With what would have been the first day of school behind me now, I feel like I am fully ready to step into my new reality. What lies ahead is uncertain, but I'm excited to meet whatever comes.
Have a "Beginnings" story to share? Link up with the #TeachWrite chat monthly Invite to Write here.