Saturday, March 5, 2016

"Is There a Sequel?" {#SOL Day 5/Celebrate This Week}

Read aloud time is a non-negotiable in my classroom.

It is a favorite time of day, every day.  I pull up the rocking chair, my students gather on the reading rug around me and we settle in to find out what happens next in whatever book we are reading.

This past week, we finished reading Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt.  (If you haven't read it yet, where have you been?  Stop reading this post right now and go get it!  You won't be sorry.)
As I closed out the last page and shared the final words, turning the impossible into possible, my students burst into applause.  They loved Ally's story and the person she became in the end.

"Is there a sequel?"  one student asked.

To me, this is the sign of a much loved book -- when students don't want it to end, they want the characters to continue living in our hearts. (They did the same thing when we finished Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper, another "must read".)

Not knowing the answer, I did the next best thing -- I tweeted the author and asked their question.  Much to our joy, Lynda tweeted us back and my students loved her reply:

So we will wait for Lynda's next book for a chance to reconnect with some of our favorite characters.  In the meantime, we will continue to enjoy our read alouds and celebrate the authors who create characters who become our friends.



20 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when the authors reach out to students? It is so powerful. A great benefit of social media. Love both those books you mentioned... what will be next???
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO interesting isn't it that our students live in a world where they expect there to ALWAYS be a sequel.
    Have shared similar conversations with my 4th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Twitter for just that reason. I did a workshop yesterday where I shared how to use Twitter with students. The looked disbelieving, but I am going to send them your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I connected to your post because I did something similar after reading Rob Buyea's "Because of Mr. Terupt" - I didn't realize that he had already written two sequels! I tweeted him, contacted him and am excited to say that he will be coming as a visiting author to our school this year. I loved FISH IN A TREE and OUT OF MY MIND. Thank you for sharing this snippet. It so resonated with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read-aloud is our favorite part of the day. A little friend said just the other day, "Wish there was a sequel," to a silly picture book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read-aloud is our favorite part of the day. A little friend said just the other day, "Wish there was a sequel," to a silly picture book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! My 6th graders had the same reaction! My students want a book about Albert! I LOVE read alouds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! I love when we can get students excited for more reading. And, teachers too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share their feelings; there are so many books for which I would love a sequel - or for the book to never end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My students loved this book, too! So great to hear some of the characters will show up again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My students loved FIAT as well. We loved watching Lynda's videos reading aloud to us. Did you find those? Read aloud has been an important time in my day. Now we are reading Pax. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic news! I've been struggling because I recommended this book to be read by our MS teachers. When we went to discuss, one of the 8th grade teachers railed against it and it's "Disney" ending. I'm so thankful every time it wins an award or gets a positive post/comment, like it does here. I think it's fantastic. I stand by my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's fantastic news! I've been struggling because I recommended this book to be read by our MS teachers. When we went to discuss, one of the 8th grade teachers railed against it and it's "Disney" ending. I'm so thankful every time it wins an award or gets a positive post/comment, like it does here. I think it's fantastic. I stand by my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when students beg for more! FIAT is such a great book and so easy for students to connect with. How fun that she tweeted your students back. That is something else they will remember - when authors take the time for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am proud to say I have an autographed copy from Lynda. The book is marvelous, as is One For The Murphy. That's so great you tweeted, and she replied, & that there is more to come. What a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't Twitter great for connecting students and authors? We loved Fish in a Tree - I do hope there is a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't Twitter great for connecting students and authors? We loved Fish in a Tree - I do hope there is a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, I have met Lynda several times over the past year. She is an amazing person with a powerful story of her own. Thanks for sharing what your students thought about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great response from students after a book is finished! I love that you used twitter as well. It sure is a great way to connect with authors. We tweeted Kate Messner a few weeks back and she responded very quickly!
    :) Ana

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too have always loved read aloud time. Fish in a Tree is perfect for that. I'm glad we may get a chance to see Ally again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!