Monday, March 28, 2016

The Things I Hear {#SOL16 Day 28}

Being home alone, these are the things I hear:


Rosie (my Puggle) snoring on the bed in the next room.

The trill of the Red Winged Blackbird, probably out on the crabapple tree in the front waiting for her turn at the feeder.

The freezer dumping then refilling the ice cube trays.

The seesawing tick of two clocks in the living room.

The water heater firing up in the basement.

A faint wheeze each time Toby takes a breath at my feet.

The furnace humming to life before it releases its warm breath.


It isn't very often that I am home alone.  Usually, the house is filled with the chatter and arguing of three teenagers or the notes of music seeping out from the crack under their doors.

I would say, however, that the things I hear today seem amplified -- louder than the life they hold on their own.

These are the things I hear.


8 comments:

  1. I love this slice. It's so important to listen. Silence really does offer us many sounds to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes silence is - "louder than the life they hold on their own" - but always appreciated in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many sounds are around us, but we have to stop to listen closely for the small moments we usually miss when the house is alive with teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many sounds are around us, but we have to stop to listen closely for the small moments we usually miss when the house is alive with teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love this slice!!! Quiet isn't always as quiet as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things are amplified in my home too if I turn the music off & it is "more" silent. I have a hard time writing when music is played. I enjoyed hearing your sounds, the snoring, the ice maker, the redwing. I have to find some water before I can hear those lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it difficult to capture sound in writing! I've been asking myself just how to do that. You have captured the sounds beautifully. I could hear everything you wrote. Thanks for letting eavesdrop on your quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya! :) It's so crazy how when things are quiet, they actually aren't as quiet as we imagine them to be. I heard many of the same sounds today. I wonder what the classroom would sound like on a day off? :) oooooh I see a new slice in your future of that! :) Happy Break. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!